ULFA-I claims explosion responsibility in Guwahati leaving 11 injured

Report By Umme Sarah | Mount Carmel College Student Bengaluru | Last Updated at May 16 2019

The peace of area on Zoo Road was disturbed by a suspected grenade blast near the busy Guwahati Central mall.

This explosion took place around 8 pm on Wednesday evening.

As per reports, this incident injured 6 but after further investigation, it’s 11, among them 2 were SSB jawans.

The injured were immediately shifted to Guwahati Medical College and Hospital. Two of the injured are in critical condition.

The police checking was going on following intelligence inputs about United Liberation Front of Assam (ULFA) planning to carry out an attack, Home Ministry officials said.

Guwahati police commissioner, Deepak Kumar confirmed it was grenade and said, “We have started an investigation on how the attack was carried out and who was behind it.

Since the blast took place near the checkpoint, it could be possible that the target could have been security personnel.”

The place is about one kilometer away from Assam Secretariat.

Meanwhile, chief minister Sarbananda Sonowal condemned the incident and directed police to take action to nab the culprits behind the blast.

Some eyewitnesses said that the grenade was lobbed from a motorbike while some said it was from a moving SUV at a temporary security checkpoint manned by Assam Police and SSB from the opposite side in front of a shopping mall in the densely populated and busy commercial area on Zoo Road.

Senior police officers were at the spot and the state government has ordered a probe into the incident.

Banned ULFA-I (United Liberation Front of Assam-Independent) has claimed full responsibility of the blast.

ULFA-I is led by Paresh Baruah, an insurgent of the armed insurgent group ULFA, which is seeking Independence for Assam from the Indian Union.

The United Liberation Front of Assam is a militant outfit operating in the Indian state of Assam. It seeks to establish an independent state of Assam with an armed struggle in the Assam conflict.

The blast occurred, a day after police and Army were successful in capturing three ULFA-I cadres, who have fled from Myanmar along with advanced arms and ammunition in the Tarani Reserve Forest of Tinsukia District. AK 56, AK-81, HK rifles, 2 grenades, and nine magazines were found from them.

Assam Police director general, Kuladhar Saikia said, “We have started the investigation to pinpoint and only after the investigation will confirm if there is any connection between the Myanmar episode and the blast.”

The Ancient Times

Because we’re journalists, we’re impatient. We want to gather the news as quickly as possible, using any technological resource available. And when we’re as sure of the story as we can be, we want to share it immediately, in whatever way reaches the most people. The Internet didn’t plant these ideas in our heads. We’ve always been this way.

Leave a Reply