Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced an extension of lockdown till May 3. Emphasising the importance of the next one week in the fight against coronavirus, he appealed to all the countrymen to stop the spread of the Covid-19 disease to newer areas.
PM Modi said that certain relaxations can be given in those areas that have shown promise in fighting the disease. An assessment will be done for the next one week of all the blocks, districts and states based on which the relaxations can be given.
Most of the chief ministers favoured the extension of the lockdown. On their own, a number of states have already announced the extension. States like Maharashtra, Odisha, Delhi, Telangana, Punjab and Tamil Nadu have announced the extension till April 30.
The 21-day national lockdown that was scheduled to end today on April 14.
The total cases of coronavirus in the country surged past the 10,000 mark today making it more important that the gains achieved so far in terms of containing the spread are not erased.
Calls of opening up select economic activities have been doing the rounds. The Uttar Pradesh government has allowed resumption of construction activity on government projects from April 15 witn adequate precautions including practising social distancing among workers.
According to reports, the Centre is compiling inputs from various ministries and states on a graded relaxation so as to maintain the supply of essential items without any hindrances. Inter-linkages among various segments of the industry is one of the reasons behind partially opening up economic activity.
Here are the big takeaways:
1. Because of the sacrifice by countrymen, India has staved off the extensive damage which would have been caused by coronavirus.
2. I understand the pain and suffering of the people. But for the country you have carried out your duty and I thank you for your service.
3. The collective strength that the country has showed is a tribute to Dr B R Ambedkar on his birth anniversary.
4. The way people have respected the lockdown restrictions is inspiring.
5. We are well aware of the global situation on coronavirus.
6.We did not wait for the problem to increase and acted in advance to stop the crisis from getting worse. We started screening at airports even before there was a single case in the country. India had mandatory 14-day isolation even before the case count touched 100.
7. The country has 220 testing labs now, over 1 lakh beds arranged and over 600 dedicated hospitals for Covid-19.
8. If we look at the coronavirus count in other developed countries, India is in a much better position.
9. If we hadn’t adopted a holistic and integrated approach, the situation in India would be unimaginable
10. The path we chose is the correct path. Social distancing and lockdown have benefited the country immensely.
11. From an economic perspective, India has paid a lot but it pales in significance when compared to protection of lives.
12. States have played a responsible role in staving off a crisis.
13. But, the way it is spreading, it has made government world over more alert.
14. States and individuals have favoured an extension of lockdown.
15. Lockdown will have to be extended till May 3.
16. I appeal to all countrymen that we have to stop the spread of coronavirus in newer areas.
17. Have to be really careful in hotspots and also remain vigilant in those areas that could turn into hotspots.
18. For next one week, till April 20 every town, district, state will be examined catrefully and assess how the area has fared on tackling the coronavirus. Those areas, which have shown improvement and show promise, certain relaxations can be given.
19. Government rolled out PM Garib Kalyan Yojana to take care of those who are most affected due to lockdown. States and Centre are working to minimise the difficulties faced by farmers as this is harvesting period for Rabi crops.
20. There is enough stock of essential items in the country.