- District Health Officer said it was suspected that poison might have gotten mixed with the ‘prasad’, resulting in the tragic incident
- According to police, the foundation laying ceremony of Maramma temple was organised on Thursday morning and prasad was distributed after the function
- Police have detained two people following the iincident
MYSURU: As many as 12 people, including a 15-year-old girl, died while over 80 others were taken ill on Friday after they consumed food served at an event at Sulvadi Kichchugutti Maramma temple in Karnataka’s Hanur.
Police have detained two people following the incident. The devotees have been admitted to various hospitals in Kamagere, Kollegal and Mysuru.
The district health officer said that poison might have gotten mixed with the ‘prasad’, leading to the tragedy.
We have collected the samples and sent it to a laboratory for investigation,” he told reporters. The condition of 12 people was critical and they have been taken to Mysuru for treatment.
According to police, the foundation laying ceremony of Maramma temple was organised Thursday morning and prasad was distributed after the function.
Most of those who attended the event followed the ‘Om Shakti’ tradition. After consuming the prasad, people started vomitting and began writhing with stomach pain, police said.
Commotion prevailed as people hurried to nearby hospitals for treatment. Police rushed to the spot, as also district authorities, to provide medical aid.
Expressing shock over the incident, chief minister H D Kumaraswamy said he has directed the authorities to make all arrangements for the treatment of the affected people.